The Congressional Veteran Commendation (CVC) is a nominations-based program intended to recognize the exceptional military and community service of veterans residing in Florida’s 16th Congressional District.
A committee of local veterans active in the community will review all nominations and select one nominee each who served during one of the following wartime periods: World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, which under current law includes, but is not limited, to Operations Desert Shield, Storm, Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan), Iraqi Freedom, and New Dawn. “In-country” service is not required. Veterans who served outside these the periods of wartime service, who are in receipt of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or the Korea Defense Service Medal qualify for nominations.
The winners of the CVC will receive a congressional certificate in recognition of their outstanding service during a ceremony coordinated by the Office of Congressman Buchanan. Congressman Buchanan will also recognize the achievements in the Congressional Record.
- Veteran must currently reside in the 16th Congressional District of Florida. You can verify this information by using the "Find Your Representative" service.
- Nominees must have served honorably in or retired from an active or reserve component of the United States Armed Forces.
- Veteran has not previously received the Congressional Veteran Commendation.
Nominations should include:
- A completed nomination form.
- A 1–2-page letter, addressed to Congressman Buchanan, which details why you believe the nominee should receive the Congressional Veteran Commendation. The letter should describe the nominee’s military service and subsequent community involvement.
- A copy of the veteran’s DD-214 and citations/orders for decorations and awards.
- A recent ‘head-shot’ of the nominee.
- Copies of photos, military records, news clippings and other two-dimensional memorabilia which help you to tell the story of the veteran’s military and community service. Please limit your nomination packet to three 8.5x11” pages of supplemental materials.
The deadline for 2023 nominations is Ocober 6, 2023. Please submit you nomination here.