BRADENTON, Fla. –Congressman Vern Buchanan announced today that eight teachers in Florida’s 16th Congressional District were chosen for the Congressional Teacher Awards.
The Congressional Teacher Awards, established by Buchanan in 2014, are given out annually to exceptional Suncoast teachers for their outstanding achievements on behalf of students.
“While they may not always receive the appreciation or recognition they deserve, teachers have one of the most important and difficult professions of all,” Buchanan said.?“That is why I established the Congressional Teacher Awards – to honor educators for the crucial role they play in our community and inspiring our younger generations.”
This year’s award recipients include:
- Lori Catalani for her accomplishments as a third-grade teacher at Sea Breeze Elementary School in Bradenton
- Stephanie Wajszczuk for her accomplishments as an ESE teacher at Ballard Elementary in Bradenton
- Kathleen Brown for her accomplishments as a math teacher at Braden River Middle School in Bradenton
- Kendall Carrier for his accomplishments as a music teacher at Parrish Community High School in Parrish
- Ann Fleury for her accomplishments as a math teacher at Lakewood Ranch High School in Bradenton
- Nicole Seace for her accomplishments as an science teacher at Winthrop Charter School in Riverview
- Thomas Waistell for his accomplishments as an English teacher at Rodgers Middle Magnet School in Riverview
- Lori Haley for her accomplishments as a Spanish teacher at Joe E. Newsome High School in Lithia
“On behalf of all of my constituents in the 16th Congressional District, I congratulate each of these outstanding teachers and offer my sincere appreciation for their service and dedication,” concluded Buchanan.
A total of 16 teachers who teach and live in Florida’s 16th District were nominated for the award by their principals. An independent panel of judges from Manatee and Hillsborough counties chose the recipients of the Congressional Teacher Awards.
The eight winners were given a certificate and recognized by the congressman in the Congressional Record for their achievements.