Buchanan Tours Hillsborough Community College
RUSKIN, Fla – Congressman Vern Buchanan today toured Hillsborough Community College’s campus in Ruskin and was briefed on the college’s work to raise educational attainment levels.
Buchanan, far right, talks with leaders from Hillsborough Community College’s SouthShore campus
Buchanan toured the school’s SouthShore campus, which offers bachelor’s and associate degrees as well as certificate programs. Nearly 45,000 students enrolled in classes at Hillsborough Community College during the 2014-2015 school year. During the same year, nearly 7,000 students were enrolled in classes on the SouthShore campus.
Campus President Dr. Allen Witt said, “The SouthShore Campus was delighted to welcome Representative Buchanan to Hillsborough Community College to discuss our efforts to raise the educational attainment levels in our community and provide an ongoing pipeline of skilled workers to advance the region’s business and industry.”
Buchanan, second from the left, speaks with SouthShore campus officials
The group gave Buchanan an overview of the campus and the programs offered by the school, including its workforce development programs.
“Hillsborough Community College is providing vital education opportunities for people in our region,” Buchanan said.
Ruskin and other parts of Hillsborough County were added to the 16th Congressional District, which Buchanan represents, last year.
Buchanan was joined by:
- Dr. Allen Witt, campus president, Hillsborough Community College’s SouthShore campus.
- John Meeks, director of postsecondary adult vocational programs, Hillsborough Community College.
- Ashley Carl, executive director of college relations, Hillsborough Community College.
- Justin Coffie, student ambassador, Hillsborough Community College.
- Samuel Lopez, student ambassador, Hillsborough Community College.