Buchanan Addresses AIPAC Annual Dinner in Sarasota
Affirms Support for America’s Greatest Ally in Mideast
SARASOTA – Speaking to a group of Sarasota and Manatee Jewish leaders, Congressman Vern Buchanan Tuesday said America must continue to stand with the only democracy in the Middle East in their shared fight against radical Islamic terrorists.
Buchanan, addressing a group of 150 members of AIPAC (American Israeli Public Affairs Committee) at the Ritz-Carlton, said Iran is the leading state sponsor of terrorism in the world.
“While the world remains fixated on North Korea, the biggest mistake we could make is to turn a blind eye toward Iran,” the congressman said. Iran is the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism and continues to call for the destruction of Israel.
Many of the people in attendance are also members of the Sarasota-Manatee Jewish Federation.
Buchanan was introduced by AIPAC leader David Chaifetz of Sarasota, who said, “there has not been a greater defender of Israel in the U.S. Congress than Vern Buchanan.” Chaifetz’ wife, Edie, is also an active member of the group. Co-hosting the event for the evening were Randon and Lynn Carvel of Sarasota. Also speaking at the event was Elliot Brandt, AIPAC national managing director in Washington and Mark Dubowitz, CEO of Foundation for Defense of Democracies.
Buchanan, who co-chairs Florida’s 29-member congressional delegation that includes U.S. Sens. Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio, said Florida stands united with Israel in its fight against radical Islam.
Buchanan’s record in support of Israel includes:
- Missile defense and security assistance: Buchanan recently supported legislation that included more than $3 billion in security assistance to Israel and an increase in support for the country’s missile defense systems like the Iron Dome, David’s Sling and Arrow-3.
- Strengthening U.S.-Israel Alliance: Buchanan has met with Prime Minister Netanyahu and other military and government officials in Israel to discuss their shared efforts to combat terrorism around the globe, preventing a nuclear Iran and support for their missile defense programs.
- Taylor Force Act: Buchanan is a co-sponsor and strong supporter of the just-signed Taylor Force Act, which cuts off U.S. aid to the Palestinian Authority for its despicable practice of rewarding terrorism.
- Voted Against Iran Nuclear Deal: Buchanan voted against the Iran deal in 2015, calling it a dangerous pact that jeopardizes U.S. and global security. Buchanan expressed deep concern that by lifting the economic sanctions on Iran, the U.S. would be pumping tens of billions of dollars into a government that has shown vehement hostility towards the United States and publicly called for the annihilation of Israel.
- Opposition to Iranian Aggression: Buchanan has voted to sanction the rogue regime for building missile defense capabilities. He also has supported legislation to crack down on Hezbollah, the anti-Israel terror group bankrolled by Iran.
- Opposition to the U.N. Anti-Israel bias: Buchanan has voted to condemn the U.S. Security Council for passing anti-Israel resolutions and their continued efforts to cast Israel, the only democracy in the Middle East, as an international pariah.
- Ending BDS (Boycott, Divest Sanctions): Buchanan is a co-sponsor of the Israel Anti-Boycott Act, legislation to combat the growing Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel.